Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of
death in New Zealand, accounting for more deaths each year than cancer.
40% of all deaths are from cardiovascular
disease; 22% from heart disease, 8% from other heart diseases, 10% from
Hay DR, Cardiovascular disease in New Zealand 2004.
Technical report No.82, October 2004.
- High LDL cholesterol is directly linked to heart disease &
- Have your LDL cholesterol tested as recommended in the NZ
Cardiovascular Guidelines (see Where do
cholesterol & triglycerides come from?)
- If you have heart disease, you probably should be taking a
cholesterol lowering treatment called a statin.
- Stop smoking – it increases your risk of heart disease &
- Exercise and diet can help lower cholesterol and improve overall